MESSAGE FROM THE COLLEGE COUNCIL CHAIRPERSON
The 2020 academic year annual report will highlight the performance and achievements of the Northern Cape Urban TVET College. Technical and vocational education and training has never been as important as it is today. I must acknowledge that the Covid 19 pandemic also had a disrupted impact on operations of the College. This is very concerning as disrupted learning can lead to discouragement and dropout with long-
term social and economic consequences. College Council took note with great appreciation the strategies the Principal and Management implemented to address the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Council through its sub committees and the Academic Board has remained committed to ensuring good corporative governance and providing strategic direction in line with Vision, Mission and Values statement of the College in contributing towards the attainment of the strategic priorities and making a positive impact in:
- Developing charters of operations for all committees of Council.
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships that benefit the College community by producing students who are employable and are also job creators as well as developing staff to fit the purpose.
- Ensuring that the college adheres to:
- Professionalism, good ethics, and confidentiality through the College systems,
- Transforming to being a more responsive institution to the needs of society and industry regarding work readiness,
- Policies and procedures guided by the legislative prescripts,
- Implementing appropriate strategies to discourage corruption and maladministration,
- Improving social cohesion and integration at the College.
All these objectives will be achieved through staff, student’s commitment, the role played by College community, in corporation with Management and Governance structures. As Council Chairperson, I am excited and positive about the future potential of NCUTVET College and the role it will play in contributing to the skills pool of the country. This new Council took over during the 2nd quarter of 2019 and only fully constituted in the 1st quarter of 2020. We are committed to govern this institution as per the mandate given by the Minister of Higher Education, Science and Technology and Training Dr Blade Nzimande, through the Further Education and Training Act.
To the Principal, Management, the rest of staff and students we wish you well. Remember that we can only achieve if we do it together. Stay safe and be blessed.
Dr. JT Beukes
Chairperson: NCUTVET College Council